Spring is here and the first motorcyclists are ready to hit the road. Before mounting your bike, it's important to make sure it's in sound condition following the winter season. A thorough inspection should be your first priority.
Get yourself and your bike ready for the road.
- Include your motorcycle in your compulsory spring clean and get rid of all dust and grime.
- When leaning into turns with your bike, the tyres should run smoothly. Check the air pressure and tread of your tyres, which must be at least 1.6 millimetres.
- Check your brakes and brake fluid. If your brake discs are rusty or cracked, change them.
- Proper lights are absolutely essential. Test your main headlights, as well as taillights and brake lights.
- Are your electrics intact? Charge your battery if necessary and then check all electrical installations.
- Check your engine oil. Test your oil level and make sure that the seals have not become porous during the winter period.
- Has your protective clothing seen better days? If so, it's probably time for a new motorbike outfit.
- Test your bike in an empty car park and start off by travelling only short distances. You may want to complete a safety training course to refresh your driving technique.
Once you have successfully completed this checklist, you and your bike are ready for the road. Unexpected damage or accidents can quickly put an end to driving enjoyment, though. With LIBERTÀ motorcycle insurance, you can bank on optimal protection. And what's more: you can now also conclude a contract online, from the comfort of your own home.