Claim (24-hour helpline)

Car insurance: Playing it safe

For many people, motoring means freedom. Mobility is particularly important in Switzerland, with its mountains and valleys. There are questions about car insurance that come up time and again. We have compiled the most important answers for you.

In addition to compulsory third-party liability insurance, there are additional products for comprehensive insurance cover. Car drivers need to know:


what insurance is compulsory?

Motor vehicle third-party liability insurance is required by law. Cars are not allowed onto the road without it. It protects against the financial consequences of damage you cause to others with your vehicle and insures against both personal injury and property damage.


What additional insurance can be recommended?

  • Accidental damage insurance cover damage to your car. Partial accidental damage cover insures you against financial damage caused by fire, theft, glass breakage and vandalism, while full accidental damage cover also covers you against collision damage to your own vehicle, even if you are to blame for the accident.
  • Accident insurance covers treatment costs, pays a daily allowance in the event of a hospital stay or incapacity to work and also pays lump sums in the event of death or disability.


When can I switch or cancel my car insurance?

You can switch your insurance when you purchase a new vehicle, your insurance premium goes up, following a claim and when your policy expires. Remember to observe the notice period and terminate the insurance in writing.


How is my premium calculated?

A variety of factors determine the amount of your premium. These include age, sex, place of residence and the brand, horsepower and technical features of the vehicle. Did you know that you can calculate your individual quote for car insurance online?

In addition to third-party liability and accidental damage insurance, car insurance offers even more: a free replacement vehicle, 24-hour breakdown cover and assistance and claims handling within seven days when you notify us of your claim and submit all the necessary documentation.