Claim (24-hour helpline)

Questions and Answers

On this page you can find answers to the most asked questions about the following subjects:






Household contents and personal liability





Change of address

Please use this form to inform us of any change of address within Switzerland.

Has your living situation changed? We would be happy to give you a quote based on your needs.

digital documents

Many of our customers have requested it. In addition, we are always looking for ways to reduce our paper consumption and thus help the environment. Digital documents are one option.

Digital documents are simple and straightforward. They provide you with the following advantages:

  • You do not need to wait for a letter. Instead, you can view the digital documents.
  • You do not need to store a paper copy.
  • You always have your documents with you, for example on your mobile phone.

You will receive an e-mail from us when an invoice is available in your customer portal. This e-mail will contain all of the relevant information for the payment. However, you can only view the detailed invoice in the customer portal.

In general, you must choose one or the other. If you opt for paper invoices but you use our customer portal, you will receive both. This is because you will automatically receive documents in the customer portal if you are registered.

No problem. Starting in November, you will be able to specify in the customer portal whether you wish to receive paper documents or not. You can change this setting at any time. If you have not registered yet, you can do so easily on the registration page at Or you can contact our customer service department as well.

No. Nothing will change for you. The switch from paper invoices to digital invoices will have no impact on the payment method. If you would like to change your current payment method, you can contact our customer service department.

You do not need e-banking to switch to digital invoices. You continue to be able to decide yourself how you want to pay the invoices. This does not need to be done via e-banking. Digital invoices are an exact copy of your paper invoices. You simply receive them digitally instead of by post.

We do incur costs for sending paper invoices. That is correct. But we are not currently planning on charging these costs to you.


Please note: Sending digital documents is common practice at many insurance companies and in other industries as well. Therefore, we may in future incur higher costs for postal mailings. Depending on developments, we may need to pass these costs on to you in the future. We therefore recommend that you opt to receive invoices digitally.

In the customer portal, you can already find digital invoices and policies for most of our insurance products. However, we will send you more documents digitally in the future if you would like. This mainly affects documents for the following types of Generali insurance: household insurance, vehicle insurance, accident insurance, buildings insurance, travel insurance.

No. If you choose to receive digital invoices, the invoice will only be displayed in your personal customer portal. If you would like us to continue sending the invoice to another address, you must choose to have paper invoices sent by post. However, you can still see your documents in your customer portal.

The customer portal enables you to manage your insurance and services easily, securely and conveniently.
Your advantages at a glance:

  • Insurance and invoices can always be viewed at a glance – any time, anywhere.
  • Check information and status of your premium payments.
  • Pay invoices via credit card.
  • Track your notification status and claim progress in the event of a claim.
  • Premium calculator for new insurance policies: calculate and save directly.
  • Change address details in your profile easily.

No. You can only choose between digital and paper. You cannot choose individual documents separately.

Yes. We will send you a confirmation e-mail if you opt for digital documents. You can use this e-mail to register for the customer portal. You cannot choose digital documents if you do not register.

You will continue to receive a payment reminder by post. The process for payment reminders and the dunning process are not changing.


  • You can pay once or twice annually. 
  • There is no monthly or quarterly payment option.
  • If you choose to pay your vehicle insurance in two annual instalments, we will charge an instalment surcharge of CHF 14.
  • For all other types of insurance (household contents, buildings, etc.), we apply an instalment surcharge of 3% of the basic premium.
  • Each invoice includes 5% stamp duty and taxes for vehicle insurance.

You can arrange payment in instalments with us. It is important that you request this before receiving the first payment reminder.


You will find the request form here.

Unless otherwise agreed, you will automatically receive a payment slip.

  • If you pay at the post office counter, you will be charged extra fees by the post office. You will find an overview of fees here.
  • Do you use e-banking? This payment method does not involve any additional fees.
  • You can request electronic invoices for each individual policy online via your e-banking account.
  • You can also pay with your credit card. You can do this by registering online on our MyGenerali app.
  • Payment by direct debit is only available for life insurance policies.

We ask that you pay the premium invoice you have already received.

  • If the premium is more, we will issue you an invoice for the difference following conclusion of the contract.
  • If the premium is less, we will deduct the amount from the next premium invoice.

Please send the payment confirmation stating your policy number to We will then send the certificate electronically to the driver and vehicle licensing office. Once we have issued the proof of insurance, we will e-mail you a confirmation.

Have you missed the payment deadline or are you unable to pay your bill until a later point? You can find an overview of our dunning process here.



Reminder 30 days after premium due date


Statutory reminder 20 days after reminder 21.02.2022
Cover suspended 15 days after statutory reminder 06.03.2022
Suspension of licence plates 1 day after suspension of cover 07.03.2022
Collection proceedings 10 days after notice of licence plate suspension 17.03.2022

ou can order a copy of the current invoice by e-mail here.

customer portal

Do you have questions about the MyGenerali app? Click here for the general questions (FAQ) on our customer portal.



Vehicle insurance certificate

No, we will e-mail the certificate straight to the driver and vehicle licensing office. We will notify you once the certificate has been issued. The certificate is valid for 30 days.

  • Vehicle details: you will find these on the vehicle registration document or the purchase agreement.
  • The keeper’s personal information.


Got all the information you need? Order a certificate online here.

A maximum of two vehicles. For vintage cars please contact us.

International insurance card (green card) 

The insurance card is valid international proof that you have third-party liability insurance for your vehicle. Third-party liability insurance is compulsory. You cannot drive a vehicle without it.


This certificate used to be called the green card. Now it is referred to as the international insurance card.

Your official vehicle registration will suffice as proof in most European countries. But in some countries, the law requires you to have the international insurance card with you when driving. The insurance certificate is worth having with you in the event of an accident in any case. We recommend that you keep the international insurance card with you at all times when driving overseas.

The insurance coverage applies in the following countries.


Please use this form to inform us of any change of address within Switzerland.

  • Are you moving to another canton? Please inform us without delay so you can get your new licence plates from the driver and vehicle licensing office.
  • Cancelling your vehicle registration in Switzerland? Please supply us with a certificate of de-registration from your local authority. We will then cancel your policy. You must also return your Swiss licence plate to the driver and vehicle licensing office. Otherwise, your motor vehicle insurance will remain active up until 31 December of the year.

Policy changes

  • You can change your coverage (with the exception of partial and comprehensive accidental damage insurance) at any time.
  • You can cancel your comprehensive accidental damage insurance after a year at the earliest. Then you can remove it.
  • Do you have a leasing agreement for your vehicle? If so, comprehensive accidental damage insurance is mandatory. You cannot remove it.
  • Theft
  • Fire
  • Natural events
  • Snowslides
  • Glas breakage
  • Collisions with animals
  • Damage by martens and rodents
  • Vandalism by other persons
  • Crash of aircraft and celestial bodies
  • Assistance


Would you like a quote for partial accidental damage insurance?

Depositing licence plates

  • Partial accidental damage cover will remain in place while your plates are deposited. But you only have to pay 50% of the premium for your partial cover.
  • Would you like to opt out of partial accidental damage cover while your plates are deposited? If so, please let us know in writing. You will find the form for this here.
  • You will receive a credit note for your liability insurance and collision accidental damage cover while your plates are deposited.
  • You only have to pay 50% of your partial cover premium for this period.
  • We will charge you CHF 20 in reinstatement fees.

The premium paid on your vehicle policy will be held in credit. If you reinstate your licence plates, we will credit you the premium already paid.

  • Would you like to register another vehicle? We would be happy to provide you with a quote based on your needs. We will credit you with any premium already paid.
  • Have you sold your vehicle and permanently deposited your licence plates with the driver and vehicle licensing office? Please send us your notice of cancellation via post or e-mail. We will refund you any excess premium paid. 

Vintage Cars

For accidental damage insurance for vintage cars, we require a valuation from an expert. This must have been issued within the last year.

You can register a maximum of six vintage cars on an interchangeable licence plate. Any vintage cars registered must have been on the road for at least 29 years.

Send the following documents to

  • Vehicle registration document
  • Photo of vehicle in line with guide
  • Documents on the vehicle history
  • Own estimate of the value of the vehicle
  • FIVA card (if you have one)
  • Copies of receipts for alterations, parts, repairs, restorations, value-adding investments (if any)


Please contact one of our agencies for an opinion of your vehicle. If you take out accidental damage insurance with us, we will cover the costs of the opinion.

Household contents and personal liability

As soon as you have paid your premium, you can order proof of insurance here. This is possible for the following types of policy:

  • Personal liability
  • Hunting liability insurance
  • Dog owner’s liability
  • Model aircraft owner’s liability (drones)

If you have an existing household contents or personal liability insurance policy, you can take out the following types of additional cover here:

  • Model aircraft owner’s insurance (drones)
  • Bicycle insurance
  • Insurance for riding loaned horses
  • Insurance for weekly commuters
  • Household contents (accidental damage)


We will then send you a quotation.




If you want to register a claim online, select the relevant insurance at You will be guided through the reporting process by answering targeted questions. We will then send you a confirmation e-mail containing your claim number.


If you would rather contact us by phone, contact our hotline on 0800 82 84 86. We will register your claim there and then. Your call will be taken by an experienced specialist, who will answer your questions and ensure your claim is processed quickly.

Select the relevant insurance at


You'll be guided through the reporting process by answering targeted questions. Once you've made your claim, we'll send you a confirmation e-mail containing your claim number.

To ensure we can help you as quickly as possible, please provide us with all relevant information, such as:

  • What happened?
  • Who or what suffered a loss or damage?
  • What is the quickest way for us to reach you?
  • Was the loss or damage reported to the police?

How long it takes us to process a claim depends on the insurance involved and the background to the claim. When a claim is reported to us, we immediately initiate the claims handling process.


Once all the necessary documentation has been received, we guarantee that your claim will be processed within seven days. That applies for household contents, personal liability, comprehensive and partial accidental damage insurance.

The sooner you contact us, the quicker we can help you. Water damage, in particular, should be reported as soon as possible to avoid consequential damage. Depending on the damage, we will offer you a range of free services.


We're there for you around the clock. Make your claim online or by telephone at 0800 82 84 86.